I have debated whether or not to share this story. It feels more like a gift that the Lord gave to me specifically and I don't ever want to minimize it. This was such a special moment. Selfishly, I wanted to keep this story just for me. I hope you can truly understand why it meant so much to me that He would give me such a blessing.
I bought a journal on June 8, 2011. On the cover, it has the Scripture 1 Samuel 2:1 (NCV) "The Lord has filled my heart with joy."
The day I bought this journal was the day I received a phone call from my friend, Amber Lewis, who told me about this amazing opportunity with an organization called Visiting Orphans.
The day before this phone call, I had posted a blog about needing prayer for direction and clarity. Amber had not read my blog yet, just felt the Lord prompting her to call me. WOW!
I like to journal. Sometimes prayers, sometimes thoughts. It is nice to be able to go back and see how the Lord has answered. It is good to go back and reflect on things you want to remember.
As most of you know, we have two sons. Preston and Bennett. (Peanut Butter) When I was pregnant with Bennett, the day before my ultrasound, I had a dream that Bennett was a boy. The way I knew this was because, in my dream, I was wearing a shirt that said "I am the Mommy to PB&J!"
We have always had our "J" named picked out for if and when we had our girl. My Dad's full name is Jay Lynn Douglas. So, we were going to name her "Jaylynn Marie." My Mom's middle name is Marie. This name has been around since before we had Preston.
Well, after my Mom passed, I have been really concentrating on the word "JOY." I have even painted a picture of the word, Joy. I have been striving for revitalized Joy in my life since January. So, through these last months, I had a change of heart on our future Princess's name. I thought, what if we named her "Joylynn Marie?" And what if we called her Princess Joy! I literally have a prayer in my Joy journal from September 13, 2011 about our future Princess Joy.
Well, in Kenya, after our second day at Fiwagoh, our team leader, Diana, asked us to share some thoughts about what the Lord had been revealing to us. My team members shared and we cried a lot. It was a special time. I shared my story about Joy and how finding Joy was part of my healing process through my grief. I told them about my Joy journal and about my future Princess Joy.
The next day, we went to a baby cottage called Haven of Hope, run by this beautiful woman named Nellie. She took us on a tour of her lovely home. She has around 30+ children. We went into the baby/toddler room. She started sharing the names of the babies...
This is baby JOY...
Have you ever seen anything more beautiful? "The Lord has filled my heart with JOY!" I could not believe my ears or my eyes. All of the girls on my team immediately looked over at me. So, of course, I had to hold my JOY. This gift of Joy that the Lord gave to me. I found JOY in Kenya, Africa... quite literally.
Needless to say, I held onto my JOY for as long as they let me...
She fell asleep in my arms.
It was... JOY.
I would love to say that this was a sign from God. This is your Princess Joy! But, it is not that simple. I quickly had to realize whatever happens, this was just a very special gift.
"The Lord has filled my heart with JOY!" The context of this Scripture passage is so much more appropriate to me today than ever before. Hannah's story now gives me very specific hope... and JOY.
You would think that this would have been the end of my Joy story. Nope. The following week, we went to a ministry in Uganda called "Serving His Children." It is an amazing ministry where they help malnourished children rehabilitate.
I got to hold a beautiful baby there too. Guess what her name was?
JOY!
SERIOUSLY!!! The funny thing was I had been holding her for a little while before I asked her Mom what her name was. It was just... JOY!
So, I found JOY in Kenya and Uganda!!! Can you even believe it!
I am so grateful for this story. The way the Lord shows you exactly what you are looking for. He is so good.
I can't get over it!!!
Undeniable JOY!!!
Balling...balling...can't even see....so touching....so beautiful...thank you for sharing this JOY with us! I can't imagine how hard it must have been to leave...
ReplyDeletei love it Shiloh, soo amazing how the Lord does bring Joy into our lives!!! but i must say, hearing YOU tell it with your voice, was my favorite version ;D this is priceless. God is soooo good to us!!! thank you for sharing it
ReplyDelete-KellyG.