This was my hardest day. I have hesitated to write about the difficult parts of this journey. Words fail to describe the devastation and hopelessness at some of the places we saw. The need is staggering. It got very dark on some days.
On this day, we went to a children's prison. These government run facilities are a place where children are brought in that have either committed some sort of offense or have been found on the streets.
I cannot mention names or places or ministries that are helping, but I do want to share this story.
We came in and had a time of worship led by this incredible ministry that shares the light of Jesus at least twice a week at these places. I was so wrapped up in worship, that, by the end, I didn't even notice that ALL of these children, ages 12-18, were down on their faces before the Lord. They were praying and crying out to Jesus. I did not understand all of the language, but what I saw was TRUE worship. It was overwhelming. I have not experienced anything like this. It was something beautiful. I am so grateful for this ministry that comes into these places. Thank You, Lord.
After worship, we had a time where each child could make a cross beaded necklace. I had noticed this girl was not participating. So, I sat down by her. She was mumbling, "my daddy, my daddy..." I could not understand what she was saying. I just started rubbing her back. That's when one of the interns from this amazing ministry came over. She sat in front of her and started trying to talk to this girl. The intern explained to me that this girl was new and she had been getting picked on. As this intern listened to this girl speak, she picked out the words, "My Mom just died."
I grabbed a hold of this girl and told her about my Mom through my tears. I told her how she had died in January, and how sad I was. But, that I had to believe that she was in Heaven and I would see her again because of my belief in Jesus and what He did for me and my Mom. And that God is still good and still faithful. The intern immediately started crying.
I don't remember what all was said, but it was overwhelming.
You can also see one of my team members right beside me, Allison. She had felt led to come and just start praying, not knowing what exactly was happening.
I cannot believe one of my other team members, Lauren, caught this on camera.
This moment that was so divine and appointed. I still cannot believe it.
I wish we could have stayed all day and that I could have talked to this girl more. It was so hard to leave. But, I did get the chance to see this intern again later this day. I am so glad she is able to minister to this girl. There is also a woman (in the corner of the picture) that had been counseling with her that day after I left.
I will never forget this girl...
Please pray for these children and for this ministry that is there serving right now.
P.S. I just got a message from Kirby, the intern. (She said I can use her name!) She said that this girl gave her life to Christ after the message today! Praise God!!! WOW!
Oh Shiloh...there really are no words for this beautiful story...ministering to others who are going through the same thing and know how you feel...how healing...God bringing something beautiful out of pain and sadness....I am so glad someone caught this on film...what a beautiful moment...you write as if we were there with you...what an AMAZING ministry to lead worship there! Means a lot to me since I am a worship leader. Almost sounded strange to hear the words "children's prison", but I understand....wow....life-changing....I WANT TO GO.
ReplyDeletewow, wow,.....wow...and the worship...wow. amazing. im lost for words
ReplyDelete-KellyG.