Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My friend Philis

My first story has to be about Philis.

We drove up to Fiwagoh and were greeted by the singing "Welcome, welcome... so happy to see you, happy to see you."  I got out of our van and we were surrounded by children.  It is an overwhelming feeling.  Of course, I started bawling.  It was surreal.  That word will be coming up a lot and it doesn't even do it justice.
Immediately, this little girl grabbed my hand and looked me right in the eyes and said "We are going to be friends.  You are going to be my friend."  This was Philis.  And we definitely became friends and were together for my days at Fiwagoh.
The first thing you notice is the beauty of this place.  It is set in the middle of mountains and right on Lake Elementaita.  Gorgeous.  The next thing is the singing.  It is constant and simply lovely.  Next, is the notes.  I received little notes immediately from Philis and her group.  It was one of the sweetest things.
We got unloaded and ate dinner.  Then, we worshiped with them.  Again, the singing was enchanting and captivating, Heavenly.  Lots of hugs good night and off to bed.
The next morning, we started organizing our donations.  Breakfast was announced so I took my doxicyclene.  Well, breakfast was running a little late.  I didn't think anything of it... well, these meds are to be taken with food.  Needless to say, when breakfast did happen, I was nauseous.  NOOOO!!!!  I went back to my room and laid down.  I started praying.  It was so frustrating for me.  I could not believe that on my first day to serve I was sick.  Anyway, I decided to stay in my room for the morning to see if this nausea would pass since I had eaten something.  I was so upset.  I heard the children singing and having fun.  And I was stuck in my room.
Then, came the voice.  "Shahloh?"  I didn't think too much of it, thought I was hearing things.  I started reading through my sweet notes and continued praying.  The voice came again.  "Shahloh?"  Talk about a voice from above.  I got up and went down the hall and there was Philis waiting for me.  She looked up at me and asked if I was coming.  Umm, yes, yes, I am.  Without hesitation, I went with her.  I had to totally rely on the Lord's strength to get me through the day.  I had been praying Philippians 4:13 all morning.  And boy, was this verse the truth for me this day and quite frankly, all week.  His Strength.  Amen.
It was a beautiful day with my new friend, Philis.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Beautiful words...I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet, sweet story! I bet you really miss Philis! I love the way you write...I feel like I know her! :) What is doxicyclene? Is it malaria pills? Some of our team to Africa have to take something every day too. My biggest fear about traveling and going on a far away trip is getting sick...I am glad you shared your story...it makes me less afraid to go sometime. Can't wait to hear more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad that you got sick, but still a wonderful story and we can't wait to hear more.
    Chantel

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm captivated by your stories!! i just wish there were more of them!!!!! it is always heart warming, heart breaking, encouraging, humbling and convicting to hear what the Lord does through those who are willing to lay it all down for the sake of the Gospel. thank you Shiloh for going. for being obedient to the call. for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. they are truly priceless!!!
    -KellyG.

    ReplyDelete