Saturday, October 8, 2011

Birthdays and Broken Arms

WOW, what a week. 

Yesterday, the day after Preston's 7th Birthday, he broke his arm in two places.  He was hot doggin' in his brand new go kart from Papa J.  He took a turn too sharp and rolled onto the side.  He actually wanted to just take a break and go again.  Needless to say, I took him to the ER.  That was a crazy drive.  I am pretty sure I got up to speeds that I won't mention... the Lord was protecting us thankfully.  Preston was screaming in pain.  This is so hard to hear as parents know when your child is in pain.  We were 30 minutes out of town, so it was a very long drive.  Preston was so sweet through it.  Through his screaming, he also started praying.  "God, please heal my arm."  I had to mention that because of how strong he is in his faith at his age.  Again, I just love this about him.  We got to the ER and of course, I parked on the totally wrong side of Mercy.  So, we had to walk through the entire hospital.  That was frustrating, but in the midst of chaos, you are not always thinking clearly.  We got to the check in.  And through my quivering voice I told the man that my son had probably broken his wrist and we had been driving for 30 minutes and could he please help us quickly.  He looked down at his wrist and asked the concierge lady to get an ice pack.  Then, very quickly, they took him back and put his arm on a board and wrapped it.  This was a surprisingly quick ER visit.  I am grateful they responded so quickly.  I had to go to registration and he had to go get x-rays.  Another no fun thing for a parent.  They don't let you go back.  When he came back, I could tell he had been crying.  I remember the x-ray I had when I broke my arm at 5 years old.  X-rays are no fun.  I am so grateful that he made it this long without breaking a bone.  Anyway, we waited just a little bit and they brought him back.  The doctor told me he had broken it in two places, the ulna and radius.  The good news is it was not all the way through so they did not have to set it.  Thank God!  They had to put a splint on.  He did not cry during this.  I am so proud of him.  He is such a great kid.  Finally, after all that, they gave him some Tylenol.  The nurses were so impressed with how calm he was and sweet.  He will have to get a cast after the swelling goes down.  That is hard because I may be flying to Africa when this happens.  But, I know he is in good hands here with his Daddy and Papas.  I am just hoping I can be here for it.  Time will tell.  Preston did not cry at the ER until we were about to leave.  He was more upset that we weren't going back to Papa J's.  But, Papa J came back to Lawton with us.  We gave him otc meds every 4 hours and he has not complained once.  Have I mentioned what a great kid he is?!!!  I was taking pictures of him and trying to make him look a little more pathetic, but the truth is, he can't help but smile his big cheezy grin.  I LOVE HIM.  He will be fine.  I know this. 

Today is my Mom's 56th Birthday, her first in Heaven.  I remember taking her to lunches on her birthday.  13 years ago, I took her out to eat at her favorite Chinese restaurant, Dot Wo's in Edmond.  I was telling her about my first date with this guy named Matt.  She got so excited and said maybe for her next birthday, we would be planning a wedding.  She also told me, "You better not screw this up, Shiloh Dawn."  (Thanks, Mom.)  To which I responded with; "Hey, I am a pretty good catch too, you know."  She loved Matt even before she met him.  (Who couldn't!)  Ironically, I was already married to him by her next birthday!!!  Lol. 

Last year, for her birthday, we went to a Japanese restaurant where they cook in front of you.  She had so much fun, we all did.  She was so happy.  The pictures from that weekend are the last I have of her.  Soon after that, in November, she started getting really sick.  And, well, you all know how quick it went after that. 

I recorded two songs for my parents birthdays last year.  "Thank you for the Music" and "Healer."  My Dad's Birthday is Monday.  So, this month is just full of celebrations.  She always said we needed to have a daughter on October 4th, so we would have birthdays October 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10. 

We love you and miss you Mama J.  The boys birthdays this year was hard on me because of missing her.  But, she would be so mad at me for that, so we celebrated doing something the boys love, swimming.  And they did have a blast last weekend and this weekend with the go karts while it lasted...

All is well today.  Preston is feeling great.  He is a trooper.  Daddy is happy because the Sooners are winning.  Papa J is doing good because he always eats well and rests better when he is here, Lol.  Bennett is getting used to having to be super sensitive to Preston's fragile state.  As for Mommy, well, I appreciate your prayers for our family in the midst of all this.  I just need extra prayer for my anxiety as I am away.  Thank you.  Days and weeks like these I REALLY miss my Mom. 

The good news is that all this warfare just means the Lord has mind-blowing, huge things in store for Africa, which gives me great hope. 

For His Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment