Monday, April 2, 2012

It's official, I am just like my Mother

I am officially enrolled at Cameron University for Fall 2012! 

This process began around February of this year.  I decided one day to just go across the street.  As many of you know, my husband, Matt works at Cameron Baptist Church in Lawton, OK.  Our Church is literally across the street from Cameron University.   So, after a lunch date with Matt, I walked across the street to the campus.  It makes so much sense to me now that being on a college campus would make me feel at home.  The day I set foot on campus to inquire about attending, I felt a rush of something I had not felt in a while.  It felt good, comfortable.  I felt a sense of belonging and I felt my Mom.  This may not make sense to you, but it is the truth for me.

Some of you may not know that I pretty much grew up on a college campus.  My Mom worked at UCO as a computer programmer for over 30 years and received her MBA there.  She actually loved learning.  When UCO offered free tuition for employees, she jumped on it.  She was brilliant and set the curve in all of her classes.  She loved learning.  That was her hobby.  A thirst for knowledge.  I think it is absolutely priceless that there is a memorial scholarship at UCO in her name to continue on her legacy of learning.  Maybe some day my boys will attend as well!


UCO has always meant so much to me.  I met my husband at the BSU (BCM) there.  Matt and I both graduated from there.  Our BCM Director, Charles Lillard, officiated my Mom's memorial service and hosted her Life Celebration after.  We love UCO! 

Now, here I am, 12 years after graduating from UCO, a Cameron University college student!!!  I can hear my Mom's voice telling me to get a Masters Degree... not gonna happen!  First, Cameron does not offer a Masters in Communication.  Oh, that's a shame!  Lol.  I really have no desire to get a Masters degree at this point.  However, I am looking forward to the fun classes I am going to take! 

Intro to Creative Writing and Exploring Multiculturalism, plus a 2 Saturday workshop on Non-fiction Writing.

I have really enjoyed writing over the last year.  My plan is to write something where the proceeds can go to benefit Haven of Hope in Kenya, where I found JOY!  My friend Amber is going there to serve for a year.  So, we shall see what the Lord has in store.

A friend asked me recently what I enjoy doing.  She said I had mentioned things I don't like to do (mainly crafty stuff that I am not naturally good at), so what is it that I enjoy doing?  This question really got to me.  My Mom always joked that she had no personality and was pretty boring.  I had to stop and think about what I do like to do.  Since then, I have realized several things.  I won't bore you with some of the awareness the Lord has brought me to.  I will share this.  One thing is, like my Mother, I enjoy learning.  So I guess one of my new hobbies is going to be school!  Who would have thought?!  I am becoming just like my Mother.  Lol.  I actually think that is something to be proud of regarding the value she put on education.  She definitely passed this on to me and I hope some day this love of learning will continue on with my boys! 

Anyway, this is my news for now.  I am really looking forward to being on campus in the Fall.  I have been a bit frustrated not knowing what was next and now I have something to look forward to.  Praise God!

Thank you for your support and prayers!  I am expecting great things for His Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment