My Dad is color blind. It was first discovered when my Granny (his mother) sent him to pick out some green pants. He brought her the wrong color once, then again and one last time. When she finally realized he did not know what green looked like, they had his eyes checked out and sure enough, he was color blind.
He describes it as seeing in black and white. I know he loves yellow because he knows what it looks like and can pick it out fairly easily. When it comes to other colors, he asks if he does not know for sure. He also says that when he gets to Heaven, that is one of the first things he expects to see; brilliant, vibrant, full color.
My Dad is also a painter. If you have ever been to our home, our living room is a Jay Douglas art gallery. I always love to surprise people with the fact that he is color blind. My Mom would help him usually pick out the right color combination.
The reason I bring this up is because of my children and my church.
I love Cameron Baptist Church for how beautifully diverse it is. I love that my kids, growing up in this church, are color blind. I love how our student ministry has such gorgeous faces and personalities. This makes me think of Heaven. We also have a huge group of Cameron University college students from all over the world, literally. Right here in Lawton, Oklahoma. When you look out onto our congregation, you see the whole world.
I love this.
I love my church.
We have been here for almost 6 years now. That is half of our marriage and almost all of our 2 boys lives. (Preston was 6 months when we came.)
No, things have not always been perfect, but this is our home. I have not always said that about Lawton, so this is a big step for me. Look at me, I am growing!
My Dad even calls this "home" now. He comes here every weekend and loves coming to church with us. He fits right in! This makes me so happy.
This is what makes life worth living.....this story......
ReplyDeleteBeing color blind probably makes the color even more beautiful...no wonder he's a great painter! Love you!
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful words Shiloh. Your heart is really an inspiration to me. Love you!
ReplyDeleteI love our church too! I'm so glad that you and your family are a part of it!
ReplyDelete